Monday, December 08, 2008

There is a sense of calm in the Oval Office


Bush was interviewed for Nightline tonight (link, other link).

IN OTHER WORDS: Asked whether a deal for a bailout of the car companies is close: “It’s hard to tell because there are some pretty strict standards. One is that anything that’s done would as best as possible guarantee the taxpayers get their money back. In other words, there needs to be viability.”

WHAT WE JUST DON’T WANT: “These are important companies, but on the other hand, we just don’t want to put good money after bad.”

The conversation naturally segued from there to the question of whether the Bible is literally true. “Probably not ... No, I’m not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it, but I do think that the New Testament, for example is ... has got ... You know, the important lesson is ‘God sent a son.’”

Bush says he... I was about to say he said he believes in evolution, but thinking about it, what he said was “I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty, and I don’t think it’s incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution,” which is actually only saying that evolution may be true, not that it is.

CAN’T COUNT TO TWELVE: “All I can just tell you is that I got back into religion and I quit drinking shortly thereafter and I asked for help -- I was a one-step program guy.”

Says without his faith, “I’m pretty confident I would have been a pretty selfish person.” Yeah, imagine what that would be like.

Did God choose you to be president? “I just, I can’t go there.” Wink wink.

WHAT THERE’S A SENSE OF IN THE OVAL OFFICE: “There is a sense of calm in the Oval Office, where there are obviously a lot of dramatic moments and a lot of, you know, pressure, but there is calm in the Oval Office.”

WHAT THE VOICES IN GEORGE’S HEAD ARE SAYING TO HIM NOW: “People say, ‘But how do you know that it’s because of prayer?’ And I guess the answer is because of faith is how I know -- I can’t prove it for you.”

HE SHOULD REALLY TEACH SUNDAY SCHOOL AFTER HE LEAVES OFFICE: “For me, it’s not a crutch, for me it’s the realization of a power of a universal God and recognition that the God came manifested in human and then died for sins.”

No comments:

Post a Comment