Thursday, May 07, 2020

Today -100: May 7, 1920: I am not going out asking people to vote for me for president


Herbert Hoover was trounced by Hiram Johnson in the primary in their home state of California, but he’s pleased he did as well as he did, 175,000 votes, and will stay in the race as long as he doesn’t have to, you know, do anything himself. “I am not going out asking people to vote for me for president. I haven’t asked anyone to vote for me and I will not do so. I will not organize a campaign, have my supporters raise a great campaign fund and then mortgage my soul in advance in order to attain the election.”

Mexican President Venustiano Carranza issues a statement about the current “delicate situation, both military and political.” He refuses to resign and calls on the military and everyone else to support him, possibly by helping him pack.

The Delaware State Senate passed the federal women’s suffrage Amendment, but doesn’t send it to the House (where it would likely have been defeated anyway), instead adjourning.


Don't see comments? Click on the post title to view or post comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment