Monday, August 11, 2008

I don’t see America having problems


Bush gave an interview to Bob Costas of NBC Sports.

What did the American basketball team say to him? “Their response was -- well, first of all, obviously these are great stars. And their response was, thanks for coming”.

Interestingly, he responded to Costas’ description of China as “an authoritarian state” with “That’s true.”

But Costas also said that America’s problems reduce its leverage with China, and this could not stand: “First of all, I don’t see America having problems.” Your not seeing America having problems is in fact one of America’s problems. He went on, “I see America as a nation that is a world leader, that has got great values.”

WHAT IN THE LONG RUN AMERICAN BETTER DO: “In the long run, America better remain engaged with China, and understand that we can have a cooperative and constructive, yet candid relationship.” How very... alliterative.

BUSH FINDS THE RUSSO-GEORGIAN WAR INTERESTING: “It was just interesting to me that here we are trying to promote peace and harmony and we’re witnessing a conflict take place.”

WHAT GEORGE’S ATTITUDE IS: “My attitude is, is if you got relations with Mr. Bashir, think about helping to solve the humanitarian crisis in Darfur. That was my message to the Chinese government.”

WHAT GEORGE HAD A CHANCE TO SAY TO THE CHINESE PEOPLE: “I went to church here, and I’m sure the cynics say, well, you know, it was just a state-sponsored church. On the other hand -- and that’s true. On the other hand, it gave me a chance to say to the Chinese people, religion won’t hurt you, you ought to welcome religious people. And it gave me a chance to say to the government, why don’t you register the underground churches and give them a chance to flourish? And he listened politely. I can’t read his mind, but I do know that every time I met with him I pressed the point.”

WHAT IT’S VERY IMPORTANT FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE TO KNOW. VERY IMPORTANT: “Bob, it’s very important for the American people to know that coming here gave me a chance, obviously, to root for our team, and you’ve captured that, but it’s also coming here is a sign of respect for the Chinese people.”


No comments:

Post a Comment