Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Today -100: August 27, 1913: I am tired of being a girl


There is a Carnegie Commission investigating atrocities during the Balkan Wars. First I’ve heard of it. Anyway, the Serbs are boycotting it, as is the custom.

Headline of the Day -100: “Girl Wears Male Garb.” The NY police “had been receiving complaints that a girl masquerading as a man was going about his precinct, and had been seen in various saloons.” Naturally a police captain and a detective investigated, tracked her down and arrested her for vagrancy. She told the magistrate, “I am tired of being a girl. I want to work with men and get a man’s pay. I am tired of the worries of a girl who works in factories at a salary that will not keep body and soul together.”

Leo Frank is sentenced to death for the murder of Mary Phagan, which he did not do.

Don't see comments? Click on the post title to view or post comments.

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that the Anti-Defamation League was born out of the Frank case.

    Thanky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The imminent ritual murder trial in Kiev must have had an influence as well.

    ReplyDelete