Saturday, March 10, 2007

Bush in Brazil, where the nuts come from, part dois


At a press conference with President Loooooola, Bush gave his personal definition of democracy: “I think it’s great to be able to say a good friend won reelection because it confirms the fact that democracy is alive and well in Brazil.” But there are concerns: “I share your concerns about the people in democracy not receiving the benefits of democracy.”

You’d think that it would be hard to mistake Brazil for the United States, but... “And so, Mr. President, I’m so glad you’re here -- I mean, so glad I am here.”

Why is he in, um, Brazil or wherever? “I’m reminding people that which is pretty evident, that a lot of people know that there are direct ties between our countries.” So he’s reminding people that people know something which is pretty evident. Anything else? “I bring the goodwill of the United States to South America and Central America. That’s why I’m here. I don’t think America gets enough credit for trying to help improve people’s lives.” That’s a pretty quick transition from “goodwill” to whining petulantly about ingratitude. “And so we fully understand that if there’s illiteracy, it will affect our country eventually.” Especially if you’re the one with the illiteracy. And you are, George, you are. Indeed, one of the things I’ve observed in Bush’s speeches is just how large a proportion of the English language is “fancy” to him. He added another one to that list: “There is a lot of investment in the region, as the President noted. Oh, for some, that’s just a fancy word, but for others who benefit from the investment through jobs, it’s a central part of their life.”



His weekly radio address gives a preview: on Monday he will visit a great Guatemalan success story, a poor farmer who switched his crops and now sells them to... Wal-Mart.

And then, it was time to dance! (I was finally able to view this video on the third browser I tried, fucking Internet Explorer. And then they made me watch an ad first.)



No comments:

Post a Comment