Thursday, April 07, 2005

Richard Perle and the Case of the Chronic Failure and Smug Confidence


Slow news day, so I’m gonna make fun of the place I got my lunch, a Chinese food chain called Panda Express (so sue me, I like the orange chicken). The cashier was a Chinese man named Danny, if one were to believe his nametag. I’ve noticed this before: everyone there works under an American pseudonym, a nom de eggroll, if you will.

And as long as I’m in Seinfeld mode, what’s the deal with the expiration date on my shampoo?

Followup: Well, I’ve read Perle’s prepared statement to the House Armed Services Committee (pdf, 4 pages), which included the bit that perplexed me two posts ago. In context, the exact nature of the cunning conspiracy by Saddam to draw us into a war against him is no clearer, at least to me.

His attack on the CIA says its last 30 years have been marked by “chronic failure: faulty estimates accompanied by smug confidence about future developments rendered in the face of repeated nasty surprises.” Dude, that’s your resumé:
1981-87 Assistant Secretary of Defense for Faulty Estimates Accompanied by Smug Confidence about Future Developments Rendered in the Face of Repeated Nasty Surprises.
2001- Chairman and then member of Defense Policy Board in charge of chronic failure and faulty estimates accompanied by smug confidence about future developments rendered in the face of repeated nasty surprises.
Perle argues that all the failures in Iraq stem from not working with “those whose interests parallel our own,” by which he means Chalabi, whose name he never uses (although he didn’t testify wearing Groucho glasses, so I guess he doesn’t realize that his name is even more discredited than Achmad Chalabi’s). We should have invaded side by side with his people, who we should have trained, and we should have handed over the country the day after Baghdad fell. He thinks many of our problems occurred because of “the image on Iraqi television of an American pro-consul informing the Iraqi people of the rules we made for them.” Oh, I doubt it. For a start, they didn’t have electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment