Saturday, May 09, 2020

Today -100: May 9, 1920: I will blow up myself


Polish troops capture Kyiv.

The armies of Álvaro Obregón and Pablo González, both candidates for the Mexican presidency, enter Mexico City. Pres. Carranza has fled.

The US Navy calls up marines and destroyers to be ready to invade Mexico to protect American citizens. American citizens near ports, anyway.

Poet-Aviator Gabriele d’Annunzio says of the negotiations between Italy and Yugoslavia that sooner than hand over Fiume to Yugoslavia, “I will blow up the bridges, I will blow up the railroad stations, I will blow up the railroad station, I will blow up the city, I will blow up myself.” That probably sounds adorable in Italian.

French PM Alexandre Millerand denies German allegations that white women were molested by black French troops in the Ruhr, allegations he says have been made up to appeal to racist Americans. Protests against the deployment of non-white troops (mostly Senegalese and Algerians) extend across the German political spectrum, including a protest from the Social Democratic Party conference.

The peace treaty for Turkey will require it to annul all conversions to Islam since November 1, 1914 and undo adoptions of non-Muslim children by Muslims.


Don't see comments? Click on the post title to view or post comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment