Thursday, November 11, 2021

Today -100: November 11, 1921: People’s private lives are no concern, either of justice or the police


They do the Unknown Soldier thing in the Capitol.

The NYT thinks Northern Ireland can’t possibly refuse to help the British government come to a deal on Ireland. Man, they do not know Ulster at all, do they?

Henri Landru, French serial killer extraordinaire, refuses to relate to the court his no doubt perfectly reasonable account of his relations with all those women who mysteriously disappeared. “I had business dealings with these women. Beyond that their affairs do not concern me. People’s private lives are no concern, either of justice or the police.” He does give the court a lesson on feminine psychology, explaining why all those women whose furniture he sold after they disappeared had told people that they were going off to marry him: they didn’t want to admit that they were selling their furniture because of financial difficulties, so they just told people they were engaged to him.

Anatole France is awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. I will admit to never having read anything by him.

Don't see comments? Click on the post title to view or post comments.

2 comments:

  1. "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids all men to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets and to steal bread-the rich as well as the poor." That's it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, me too, and I don't even know what he wrote that in. I know he was a Dreyfusard and a leftist in general, but his novels I don't know at all.

    ReplyDelete