Monday, May 08, 2023

Today -100: May 8, 1923: I can face prison myself

Harding says the “national heart, conscience and judgment” support joining the World Court. Really, every American wants to join, he’s pretty sure.

Lucy Aldrich is released, I guess, by the Chinese bandits who attacked the Peking Express and made off with many of its passengers. Or, not released, but left behind with other white women unable to keep up with the forced march. Some captives are still being held.

At the French court-martial of Baron Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach, head of the Krupp conglomerate (by marriage; the “Krupp” in his name is from his wife), Krupp is asked why he returned to the Ruhr knowing he faced arrest instead of remaining in Germany so the French could call him a fugitive, as they clearly intended, and why he didn’t ask two other indicted Krupp directors to return with him. “Even though innocent I can face prison myself... but I cannot ask it of others to face prison for me.”

No one likes the painting Sir William Orpen painted for the Imperial War Museum, To The Unknown British Soldier in France. Critics hate it and the museum won’t take it. It looked something like this:


Orpen denies that it was ironic or something: “I painted the picture in all seriousness and humility.” Later on he painted out the emaciated soldiers and chubby cherubs and the museum finally accepted it.

Don't see comments? Click on the post title to view or post comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment