Tuesday, March 17, 2009

He deserves my silence


Bush, giving a speech to the Calgary Chamber of Commerce, said “I’m not going to spend my time criticizing [Obama]. ... He deserves my silence.” Don’t we all, don’t we all (except the Calgary Chamber of Commerce, evidently).

Of course he did go on to criticize Obama, though not by name, warning of moves to “replace free markets with government.”

OR POSSIBLY A UNIVERSAL REMOTE: “I believe freedom is a gift from a universal god.”

WE CAN LAUGH ABOUT IT NOW: He talked about Aaron Burr’s duel with Alexander Hamilton, saying “At least when my vice president shot somebody, it was by accident.”

BUT NOT SO FUN TO READ IT: He said that he plans to write a book about the 12 toughest decisions he had to make, and that he thinks it will be “fun” to write the book. I suspect after a few minutes of writing, he will think it less fun and the 12 toughest decisions will all be about spelling and grammar. And of course, all decided wrongily. He said, “I’m going to put people in my place, so when the history of this administration is written at least there’s an authoritarian voice saying exactly what happened.”

Maybe a little authoritarian silence is in order now, George?

No comments:

Post a Comment