Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Today -100: June 14, 1916: My attitude is one of undiluted Americanism


Charles Evans Hughes, finally in campaign mode, says, “My attitude is one of undiluted Americanism, and anybody who supports me is supporting an out-and-out American and an out-and-out American policy and absolutely nothing else.”

With all the talk this year of “Americanism,” a term I don’t think I came across at all for 1915, and which will be ubiquitous for a long while (the Ku Klux Klan of the ‘20s loved it), Wilson has named today, Flag Day, as a federal holiday for the first time (it’s the anniversary of the adoption of the first American flag in 1777).

Sen. Charles Thomas (D-Colorado) introduces a resolution for a constitutional amendment banning members of the Supreme Court running for public office while on the bench – or two years afterwards. Subtle.

The NYT suggests that the Democratic Convention won’t be that interesting:


Headline of the Day -100:  


Reading that, I wonder if that’s the first time someone heard a murder telephonically, but I can’t think of any way to look it up.

Headline of the Day -100:  
A survivor of the Charge of the Light Brigade, not of knitted headwear.


Don't see comments? Click on the post title to view or post comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment