Saturday, November 10, 2007

God for Harry, England and a packet of crisps


Interesting analysis by the BBC’s Mohammed Hanif of Musharraf’s meandering televised speech last week.

The London Times op-ed editor asks for a new motto for Britain, in six words or less. Some of the replies so far (there are serious ones too, but sod that for a packet of crisps) (I think I just inadvertently coined my own entry):
  • “Sorry, is this the queue?”
  • “Full service will soon resume.”
  • “Yeah, but no, but, yeah.”
  • “No, please, after you, honestly.”
  • “That’s really most awfully kind.”
  • “At least we’re not French.”
  • “At least we’re not American.”
  • “Americans who missed the boat.”
  • “Yer’ve got to larf, aintcha?”
  • “Hanging on in quiet desperation.”
  • “Britain: it sucks a bit.”
  • “Once mighty empire, slightly used.”
  • “Mind the gap.”
  • “Is Princess Di still dead?”
  • “Bond. James Bond.”
  • “Fancy a cup of tea?”
  • “Come for the Weather, Stay for the Dentistry (and the cooking).”
  • “Lie back and think of England.”
  • “The game is afoot, Watson!”
  • “Don’t mention the war.”
  • “I have a cunning plan.”
The last 4 I just made up.

Update: checking back a day later, I find only one new one worth mentioning: “An island in a teacup.”
And I have two more of my own:
“Mrs Peel – we’re needed.”
“Ying tong iddle i po.”


No comments:

Post a Comment