Sunday, July 19, 2009

It is at your funeral that you in many ways can see most clearly the things that really matter in life


Can’t believe I forgot we owned an air strip in Honduras. But when President Zelaya tried to return to his country and they parked all those tanks on the runways at Tegucigalpa’s airport, we didn’t let him use ours. That in an Indy article that points out how many of Bush’s Latin American people are still hanging around in the Obama foreign policy establishment.

Gov. Mark Sanford issues an apology to the people of South Carolina. There are few things on this earth as irritating as a Christian doing that pathetic-smug I-done-wrong-but-God-will-make-it-all-better thing, and this is a superb exemplar of the genre, which I urge you to read for yourselves. Anyway, he’s grown from his mistakes and will be a much better governor in consequence. So that’s all right then. Words not used in the letter: resignation, Appalachian Trail, adultery, sparking thing, two magnificent parts of yourself, soul mate...

(Update: Marcy Wheeler: “Shorter Mark Sanford: I learned at C Street that we powerful people are always forgiven due to God’s grace, so I see my sins as a sign from God that I should stay governor.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment