Saturday, August 04, 2012

That’s upside-down economics

Today, Obama gave a little speech on the subject of tax cuts.

And who was with him, you ask? “I am joined here today by moms and dads, husbands and wives, middle-class Americans who work hard every single day to provide for their families. And like most Americans, they work hard and they don’t ask for much. They do expect, however, that their hard work is going to pay off.” Wow, they just don’t understand America at all, do they?

What do they want to know? “They want to know that if they put in enough effort, if they are acting responsibly, then they can afford to pay the bills; that they can afford to own a home that they call their own; that they can afford to secure their retirement; and most of all, that they can afford to give their kids greater opportunity -- that their children and grandchildren can achieve things that they didn’t even imagine.” Or at least pierce body parts that they didn’t even imagine.

BUT HE DOESN’T SAY HOW MANY AMERICANS FEELING THEIR FINANCIAL SECURITY SLIPPING AWAY IS THE RIGHT NUMBER: “We’ve got more work to do on their behalf -- not only to reclaim all the jobs that were lost during the recession, but also to reclaim the kind of financial security that too many Americans have felt was slipping away from them for too long.”

WHO DOES ALL THAT REBUILDING? I’M GUESSING MEXICANS. “Rebuilding a strong economy begins with rebuilding our middle class.”

BUT HE DOESN’T SAY HOW MANY WORKING FAMILIES STRUGGLING TO MAKE ENDS MEET IS THE RIGHT NUMBER: “So, at a time when too many working families are already struggling to make ends meet”.

SO AMERICANS SHOULD GROW THEIR MIDDLES AND BOTTOMS? WAY AHEAD OF YOU, MR. PRESIDENT! “That’s not how you grow an economy. You grow an economy from the middle out, and from the bottom up.”

KINKY! “That’s not just top-down economics, that’s upside-down economics.”

WHAT WE CAN ARGUE ABOUT: “Let’s keep taxes low for 98 percent of Americans, and we can argue about the other 2 percent.”

Don't see comments? Click on the post title to view or post comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment