Sunday, October 09, 2022

Today -100: October 9, 1922: I’ve had enough


Uncle Joe Cannon, former speaker of the House, is retiring after spending 46 of the last 50 years in Congress (a record). “I’ve had enough,” says the 86-year-old, who attended the first Lincoln-Douglas debate.

Greece says it will accept the decisions of the Allies at the Mudania conference – provided they’re unanimous. Which is kind of a big condition, but Greece does seem to have accepted, maybe, that it’s lost Thrace. Eastern Thrace, anyway.

The World Series is won by the New York team.

WJZ, Newark’s news leader, invites the NY Republican and Democratic candidates for governor and US senator to speak on the talking-type wireless.

Karel Čapek’s play R.U.R. (Rossum’s Universal Robots) premieres in NY, with Spencer Tracy as a robot. The word robot now enters the English language.

Don't see comments? Click on the post title to view or post comments.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes R.U.R. we forget how old "The Modern" actually is.

    Well, that play has a special place in my heart as I was the Robot who lead the revolution in my school's version of that play. I was brilliant if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete