Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I have the acknowledgment and the experience of going through what America is going through


So Bush this morning was again pushing for the bailout, suggesting that “It’s very important for members to take this bill very seriously” and... ah fuck it, let’s turn to the true master of stupid, as Sarah Palin gives another interview,to Hugh Hewitt, one of the few people media people Cheney ever deigns to speak to. Almost every one of his questions is a variant of “why is everyone so mean to you?” He suggested it was because she didn’t have an abortion and because of her faith. She agreed.

She also thinks they hate her because she’s just so darned normal: “Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that normal Joe Six-Pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it.” Six-Pack, is that some kind of secret Muslim name?

“I know what Americans are going through. Todd and I, heck, we’re going through that right now even as we speak, which may put me again kind of on the outs of those Washington elite who don’t like the idea of just an everyday working class American running for such an office.” Indeed, Todd’s 401K got hit by the Wall Street meltdown and “I’m thinking geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are.” Why, they might even have to sell the tanning bed. “We’ve got three teenagers. How are we going to pay for their college education?” Oh, Sarah honey, I don’t think you’re going to have to worry about that.

Now, I said a naughty word earlier, but Palin cusses up a storm to Hewitt. Just letting Sarah be Sarah, I guess. She says “geez” and “heck” (twice) (“I believe that I’m a heck of a lot better off putting my life in God’s hands, and saying hey, you know, guide me”) and invokes God, as in “thank God I don’t have time to follow [blogs].” Yeah, when you’re reading all the newspapers, all of them, it does cut into your Drudge time.

She put a brave faith on her media ordeal, being savaged by Katie Couric and all: “I’m going to take those shots and those pop quizzes and just say that’s okay... It makes somebody be even clearer and more articulate in their positions. So really I don’t fight it. I invite it.” Even... clearer... and more.... oy. She did, however, bemoan the decline in journalistic ethics since she got her journalism degree.

OH, OUR BRAVE LITTLE SOLDIER: “Those are the shots that Americans are taking, so all this political nonsense and the lies, the rhetoric that is spun out there about someone just trying to offer themselves up in the name of service to this great country, I’ll take it.”

FAIR AND BALANCED: “It’s a good balanced ticket where he’s got the experience, and he’s got the bipartisan approach that it’s going to take to get us through these challenges. And I have the acknowledgment and the experience of going through what America is going through.”

On abortion, she finds it hurtful that people think her anti-abortion position is extreme when Obama’s refusal to support a ban on “partial-birth abortion” is “so far, far left it’s certainly out of the mainstream of America. To me, that is the extreme position, not my position of just wanting that culture of life to be respected, and not wanting government to sanction the idea of ending life.” Note that she frames abortion as a “left/right” argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment