Thursday, August 17, 2006

Wherein I settle some matters to everyone’s complete satisfaction


Summary judgement 1: The validity of Günter Grass’s writings is not undermined to any significant extent by the revelations about his youth.

Summary judgement 2: I still don’t think Pluto is a planet, but I’m willing to let it be grandfathered in. Charon is not a planet. Indeed, if the argument for Charon not being a satellite of Pluto (that the barycenter [center of gravity, around which both objects revolve] of the two does not lie within Pluto) is legitimate, then Jupiter is not a planet. And Jupiter is obviously a planet. I don’t care about Ceres, and neither does anyone else. 2003 UB 313 can be a planet, but only if it’s called Xena (no, I’m not a fan of the show, but the idea gives me a bit of a giggle).

No comments:

Post a Comment