Friday, June 08, 2007

What happens in Heiligendamm, stays in Heiligendamm


Sheriff Clark, the white supremacist responsible for so much violence against civil rights activists in Selma in the 1960s, has died. I must say, I didn’t know he was defeated for re-election in 1966, or that he went to prison for marijuana smuggling in 1978. Read the NYT obit.

It will be interesting to see how big a scandal BAE Systems’s bribing of Prince Bandar develops into. On the one hand it’s a case of graft on a massive scale, and Tony Blair intervened personally to quash a legal investigation, but on the other hand it’s not exactly news that arms companies and Saudi princes are corrupt. Caught red-handed, Blair could only pretend that nothing serious had taken place. Hell, bribing foreigners wasn’t even illegal in Britain until 2002, and, he said, those contracts provided thousands of jobs for British workers in the arms trade. Of course, anyone who pays a bribe to secure a contract can say the same thing, but usually don’t have Tony’s self-delusion.

Headline of the day: “Cops Raid Wrong Place, Kick Man in Groin.” Is there a right place to kick a man in the groin?

Okay, as I wrote that, I realized some of you would read that and instantly go to comments to answer, “The Oval Office.” I know how you people think.

So you’ll just have to settle for watching Bush get shit-faced:

“Thanks, fraulein, that’ll do for a start.”


“Heh heh, I got ‘em all fooled in ta thinkin’ this’s a non-alcoholic beer.”


“One more beer an’ I go in for the neck rub.”


“What Laura don’t know won’t hurt me.”


“An’ another thing...” Bush says as he goes into Cliff Claven mode.



Oh, I know these are cheap shots, but they’re satisfying. So you people want a caption contest so you can join in, don’t you? (I said I know how you people think).

Also, what on earth is going on with Sarkozy?


(Update: the next morning, Bush missed meetings and was said to be “resting in his room with a stomach ailment.” Mm hmm.)



No comments:

Post a Comment