Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bush & the snow babies


As promised, Bush has exercised his first ever veto against medical research using embryonic stem cells. His veto statement says that science “offers temptations to manipulate human life and violate human dignity.” Stem cells have dignity? Like, they get embarrassed if their cytoplasm is showing?

He says the bill would, gasp, force taxpayers to fund “the deliberate destruction of human embryos.”

I think my head just exploded from a surfeit of bitter irony.

It would also “encourage a conflict between science and ethics”. And he somehow sees a threat that humans would become “slaves to technology.” Actually, after 5½ years of the Bush presidency, I’m kinda looking forward to serving our robot overlords.

Oh, and he made the announcement while surrounded by “snowflake babies” born from leftover frozen embryos to good Christian families who presumably first adopted all the already-born orphans out of all the world’s orphanages. “These boys and girls are not spare parts,” he said. “They remind us that we all begin our lives as a small collection of cells,” he said. Probably the last time he wasn’t a complete asshole. After a previous such photo op, I noted that “destroying human life in order to save human life, which he rejects for stem-cell research, is precisely his rationale for supporting the death penalty, to say nothing of ‘preventive’ warfare.”


“Oh God, I can feel myself getting stupider the longer I’m exposed to him.”


That caption was the baby, obviously. I’m feeling some ill effects from over-exposure to Bush myself, so I’ll leave the rest of the captioning to you people...



(Update: Watertiger is way ahead of me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment