Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Appreciating total strangers


Another day, another Hurricane Gustav emergency center for Bush to disrupt with a presidential photo-op, this one in Baton Rouge.


JEEZ, YOU PEOPLE LOOK LIKE SHIT: “Looking around, I can see that some people may not have had much sleep recently.”

EVIDENTLY IT’S A PROBLEM: “One of the key things that needs to happen is they got to get electricity up here in Louisiana, get moving as fast as possible. The Governor understands it’s a problem, his team understands it’s a problem, and I understand it’s a problem.”

DO THEY HAVE TO PRAY UPSIDE DOWN? “the people in Louisiana must know that all across our country there’s a lot of prayer -- prayer for those whose lives have been turned upside down. And I’m one of them.”

AH HAVE ALWAYS DEPENDED...: “And I know the people that are -- whose lives have been affected appreciate a total stranger coming in to help.” Boy, that doesn’t sound creepy at all.

Speaking of strangers – “little strangers” – Bristol and Levi arrived at the convention. What did McCain say to them? CAPTION CONTEST.



I guess I’m not surprised that not a single Republican has been found to suggest that the two might have practiced safe sex, but I can’t wait to see what reception the convention gives them tonight. Rapturous, I assume, at the sight of young lust punished by parenthood. I’m reminded of Dan Quayle being asked in 1988 whether, if his 13-year old daughter was raped and impregnated, he would prevent her aborting. Caught off guard, he gave the human response, that it would be a family decision. Marilyn Quayle stepped in to give the “right” answer, that of course she’d carry it to term. This was the point when I realized that certain people were as horrified at the thought of an abortion as I am at the thought of a 13-year old forced to give birth to an unwanted child.

No comments:

Post a Comment