Friday, September 12, 2008

Sarah Palin speaks: A culture of life is best for America


More of the Sarah Palin interview (and more later).

Asked what three things she would change from the Bush admin’s economic policy, she said lower taxes, “control” spending, reform oversight. Clearly, two weeks of cramming has totally paid off for Sarah. What cuts would she make? She’d find “efficiencies.” Phew, and I thought massive budget cuts to fund tax breaks for the rich would actually, you know, affect some people.

OF WHAT THERE’S NO DOUBT IN ANYBODY’S MIND NOW ACROSS AMERICA: “There’s no doubt in anybody’s mind now across America, who’s paying attention to the presidential race here, that I am a Washington outsider.” That’s not actually a qualification, you know.

Well, okay, sure, she admits, finally, she was in favor of the Bridge to Nowhere: “I was for infrastructure being built in the state.”


Abortion (on which Gibson noted that she does not support allowing abortions for victims of rape and incest, but failed to ask her about it): “I think that a culture of life is best for America. What I want to do... be able to reach out and work with those who are on the other side of this issue, because I know that we can all agree on the need for and the desire for fewer abortions in America and greater support for adoption, for other alternatives that women can and should be empowered to embrace, to allow that culture of life.” Yeah, because her position is all about “empowering” women to embrace other alternatives, like, for instance, raising her rapist’s child.

“Q: Homosexuality, genetic or learned? PALIN: Oh, I don’t -- I don’t know, but I’m not one to judge and, you know, I’m from a family and from a community with many, many members of many diverse backgrounds and I’m not going to judge someone on whether they believe that homosexuality is a choice or genetic. I’m not going to judge them.” As opposed to actual homosexuals, who will burn in the fiery pits of Hell forever and ever.

On supporting semiautomatic assault weapons: “I believe strongly in our Second Amendment rights. That’s kind of inherent in the people of my state who rely on guns for not just self-protection, but also for our hunting and for sports, also. It’s a part of a culture here in Alaska.” Not, presumably, the culture of life that’s best for America. Also, hunting and sports require assault weapons? Those moose must be tougher than I thought.

Asked about Troopergate, she kept referring to “the trooper in question” or “a state trooper” or “a trooper who was making threats against the first family,” rather than as her sister’s ex-husband (much less by name). She’s horrified that he still has a job, that he’s “still out there”: “It amazes me still to think we cannot have very, very high standards for our troopers, for anybody in public service, certainly though, those who have a badge and carry a gun.” I thought she supported everybody’s right to carry semiautos?

Curiously, she claimed that the personnel board which she wants to investigate Troopergate rather than the state legislature is not, contrary to what everybody’s been reporting for the last two weeks, entirely appointed by herself. She says they were all appointed by previous governors.

Says never tried to ban books, that’s an “old wive’s tale.”

No comments:

Post a Comment